Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Non-stress Test - Ya, Right?!!

I know, shocking that I'm posting again so soon, but I have a story for the day. As my dad always said, 25 words or less, but this I'm afraid is a "Mindy story" and could be lengthy - there's your warning.
This morning I was trying to get somethings done around the house and had gone through some papers that I needed to file in the computer room in the basement. I try to consolidate my trips up and down the stairs as much as possible (we live in a townhouse with three stories). Anyway, I grabbed my papers and some of the boys' toys they had left in the kitchen and started down to the basement. It was a rather quick trip too - I had only gone down a few steps, when I really don't know what happened, but then next thing I knew, I hit the stairs and just kept on going until I reached the bottom landing. Poor Aaron, he was home with me at the time, and I know he had to be wondering what did this lady just do? I was crying and screaming, it really didn't feel so great. He came over to the couch to console me and held my hand. Luckily I did just land on my back and not my stomach.
Well, today was a scheduled appointment with my doctor. I hadn't progressed any since last week, which was okay. Mark was out of town and I didn't want to have the baby by myself, so I had been playing it safe, that was until this morning. I told the doctor about my fall and that my back was hurting, but other than that I was doing well and told him I would see him in a week. Then Dr. Lamb said, "You know, I think we'd better go ahead and have you take a non-stress test and just check on this little guy and make sure he's doing okay. I'll have the nurse set it up for you right now." So I say okay and he leaves the room. Then I start crying thinking, what if something is wrong with the baby? What if I did something to hurt him? Of course my mind was going a mile a minute, and then I had to tell myself to calm down and get it together.
I guess the good part of this story is 1) I got to see my little guy today in an ultrasound - he's little hand was cute, and I got double assurance that he's all boy, and 2)Even though they call it a non-stress test and it was a bit stressful for me, the technician told me she thought he was doing well and looked okay. He was just so sleepy, he didn't want to wake up and show any of his cool moves off for the machine I was hooked to for what seemed like an hour.
Lessons learned - hold on to the hand rail, it's there for a reason.

5 comments:

The Wheelers said...

wow, that would give you a scare! glad everything is okay...

Anonymous said...

Oh my that is so scary. Im so releaved to hear the baby is fine... I just hope your back will be before the big day. no one needs any extra pain on that day.

Anonymous said...

Yep, we are certainly related. I was pregnant with Porter at the time. However, my fall was off our front deck...infront of the neighbors! There are only TWO stairs for crying out loud! But, I somehow missed one. I'm glad you are "ok" physically. I think stuff like that takes more of a mental toll on the poor mom-to-be! Not much longer now! Does he have a name yet? ...Summer

The Mighty Miners said...

well we are definately glad that you are okay! Maybe you should take it a little easier while mark is out of town and consolidate your piles and just leave them at the top of the steps for him to cary down when he gets home. Now you really should of told him that you had the baby today :) I did that to woody when he went out of town for a business trip AFTER my due date! I wasn't pleased so I thought I could throw in a little scare for him too, since I had to spend two weeks hoping that I didn't put myself in labor. I think she came the day after he got home!

Anneke said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so worried for you. And I want to cry for you. But I have to remind myself that you didn't just fall 10 minutes ago, it was a couple of days ago and you are really o.k. I'm glad you and baby boy are still hanging in there.