Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Playing Tricks

I thought I learned my lesson way back in high school, that some April Fool's jokes are just not that funny. Apparently, I forgot.


I don't remember whose idea it was, Meridee's, Anneke's, or mine. All I remember is that I was the one chosen to talk, or should I say, cry, on the phone to Meridee's mom. After we let her in on the joke, she let me know that we weren't funny at all. I think that was the only time I ever heard Sandra raise her voice. She wasn't impressed by our April Fool's joke.


Today Ethan told me he didn't think my joke was very funny either, and he didn't want me to play jokes on him again next year.


Dinner time rolled around and I told the boys since it was April Fool's Day, we could eat backwards and have dessert first. Yes, we would start with dessert - cupcakes!!! Ethan thought this was GREAT, until he got a closer look. They were very suspicious and soon realized these were not your ordinary cupcakes -- they were "beefcakes." Yes, a yummy meatloaf cake topped with mashed potato icing. I thought they were actually rather tasty!! Ethan just couldn't get over the fact that we really weren't have cupcakes....




I told them they HAD to eat their dessert in order to get their dinner. They thought that was funny! I didn't have any complaints tonight on "dinner." Dinner was complete with mashed potatoes and gravy (ice cream and grandma's caramel sauce) --side note here, Aaron and I pulled this one last year, and Aaron thought it was the best joke ever!!! I had to do it again! -- fish sticks (cream wafer cookies covered with icing and graham cracker crumbs), and peas (Apple AirHeads, shaped into little balls - or what was left of them after Aaron found them and shared them with his friend Isabelle).



Overall, I still think I'm pretty funny, and I had a fun time doing this for the boys, even though I'm beginning to think it was all just for me. Either way, I'm guessing this time next year I'll be trying to think of something else to feed my boys on April Fools Day!!

3 comments:

The Wheelers said...

that is so funny! maybe next year i'll have to use you idea. i think i'm just a lazy mom! my boys are a little young, so i don't do anything creative like that. maybe one day!

Anonymous said...

Good one Super Mom! That's awesome! You're so clever! Can I PLEASE get the recipie for the caramel sauce????? My email is:
summernb@comcast.net
...Summer

Anneke said...

That's awesome!! I think I really need some "dinner" right now. I'm going to have to remember that for next year.
And oh! - I had totally forgotten about our little joke. Poor Sandra. That wasn't too nice of us - but we sure thought it'd be funny. We pretty much thought we were always funny though - probably cause we were! And you were the chosen one because you're such a good actress - I certainly can't cry and lie on demand! :)