Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My soap box for the day...

Ever since I started working for the Taylorsville Police Department nearly three years ago, I've been more mindful of crossing guards, school zones and pedestrians in general. Tonight I will attend the viewing of a dear man I had the opportunity to become acquainted with as we worked as crossing guards together. Jim passed away after being hit by a car one morning while placing cones out in the street at his crossing. I just want to remind everyone to watch for others while driving, especially in school zones. I know I've had my share of close calls with cars and drivers not watching as I've worked as a crossing guard. If your children walk to school, thank your crossing guards, they truly keep your children safe.

2 comments:

The Mighty Miners said...

AMEN...Im sorry he was hit. When I did crossing guard I saw a few cars hit and was nearly hit and it amazed me how people don't even pay attention to school zones, or all the ORANGE stuff all over the place. So sad, it really should be a safe job. Anyways sorry bout that.

Momma Dil said...

How terrible! I have a new respect for the job and will be sure to thank the guards at Neva's school tomorrow! Thanks for the reminder.