Monday, October 10, 2011

Departures



Today was the day. I finally had to say goodbye for the last time for real. I met the missionaries and their adorable chauffeur (Tony) at the airport this morning bright and early. Three of dad's sister were there too, Muzette, Sherry, and Marvalee. (Aaron told me tonight that Sherry is Muzette's side kick - where does he come up with these things?)



It is strange how much the airlines have changed since I went on a mission. After they checked in we really didn't have anywhere to go to say goodbye or even wait with them. Sister Grandma (my newly coined name for her - Elder Grandpa for dad) took Alex on a walk on the moving sidewalks. He really thought they were the bomb - those and the escalators.



We took a few pictures and really had to say goodbye quite quickly. The lines to the security were getting longer and I think they were a bit anxious to get through them on time.





I was proud of myself - I didn't cry too much at all. I think Mark was a bit worried about me after all my crying late last night, but I was a big girl. I just feel a little like an orphan now.

Dad said that while he was at the MTC he realized he had a pretty good companion and that he was glad Mom was going to be with him this time around. Mom joked the first time they had to teach there Dad did all the talking. They were pretty excited, and it seemed a little strange to see my mom wearing her Sister Woolf tag. I am so excited for them!



I really don't have a super great camera, so I am sorry to my siblings that these aren't the best pics - they'll just have to do. Mom was cute and got the grandkids a little something to remember them by. It has already been carried all around the house tonight. I am hoping he makes it the whole 18 months. Alex seems to really like the little guy.


Love me some Tony.


And so does Alex.


A special thanks to the guy who "isn't a part of the LDS community" who took our group picture. He's almost as great of a photographer as I am. I had include it even though it's a blur.



Mom wanted to do a "Call to Serve" wave. I ran over to try and get the pic while she was trying to explain to dad what he was suppose to do. I am not sure he really got it. Didn't he ever watch that video? Remember when mom got that video for Christmas, just after Brandon went on his mission. It must have been Tony that had her name. What I can remember is him being so excited about giving it to her, and when he did, he had to tell her how much it cost and that dad helped him buy it. Maybe that was one of my crazy dreams? But I'm pretty sure we all had a good laugh about that Christmas.

7 comments:

Miranda said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Fun pictures! I'm glad you got to see them off!

Marty said...

I was just thinking how ironic it was that they got there on a day that there was a full moon! Thanks for getting all those wonderful fun pictures!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Wow....that just brought back a whole flood of memories. How exciting for your whole family! And what an awesome example Elder Grandpa and Sister Grandma are setting for all of your boys! Yay for missions!!!

Amy said...

How exciting Mindy. Thanks for sharing. You sound enthusiatic in your post and the pictures were great. Good luck to your special Mom and Dad.

Audrey Eliza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
farmgirl said...

Good luck Elder Grandpa and Sister Grandma! Yay for South Africa!! WoW, I got a little choked up looking at those--thinking about when my mom and dad take the big mission plunge.